CT & MA Foundation Replacement Factors1/29/2020
Foundation Replacement Factors for Connecticut & Massachusetts
There are many factors that play a role in the cost of foundation replacement. Among these are; the size of the house, the complexity of the style/design, the presence of sidewalks, patios, decks, and porches that may need to be demolished and rebuilt, landscaping features, driveway replacement, etc.
Although the construction phase will typically take 2 to 3 months, the entire project, start to finish, may take 6 to 12 months. This is due to a number of factors that impact the overall completion timeline such as; the construction permit process, plan review by local building officials, required inspections during construction, as well as adverse weather conditions.
The solution for an affected foundation is total replacement. This can be a massive undertaking depending on the home. Consider the following:
- Relocation of residents to temporary housing for entire project duration.
- Relocation and storage of personal items and appliances as needed.
- Removal of decks, patios, sun porches, landscape features, pools, etc.
- Excavation around the entire foundation to enable demolition.
- All utilities penetrating the foundation walls must be disconnected, requiring some components to be temporarily reloacted.
- Lifting the entire structure may not be required and depends on the contractor's methods.
- Depending on the temporary support method used, basement finishes may need to be removed.
- Demolishing and removing the foundation walls and, if necessary, the footings (this must be done carefully as the temporary support structure may be somewhat unstable).
- Pouring the new foundation and allowing time to cure/set.
- Resetting the building onto the new foundation.
- Reconnecting utilities, mechanical systems, etc.
- Replacement of affected landscaping.
- There can be a substantial difference in this process based on building style: ranch, colonial, split-level, contemporary design, which incorporate varying foundation configurations.
- After issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy, the homeowner and displaced contents can move back
Please contact your GlobeSpec team for additional information or support.
370 S. Main Place, Carol Stream, Il. 60188 / 800.231.1301 / Fax 800.566.7329 / www.globespec.com